As soon as you choose Iceland as a destination wedding location, you’ll be instantly overwhelmed with next steps. After all, eloping is not as easy as just showing up. Well, it can be if you hire the right wedding planner! But, one of the big steps you will make is choosing between locations and crafting an Iceland wedding schedule. So allow us to give you some ideas…
How to Build a Perfect Schedule
How you want to schedule your wedding day could impact the type of Iceland ceremony location you will choose. For example, you need to consider some of the following points as you build:
- Terrain: What the landscape of the place is like. Clean? Muddy? Rocky? How long of a hike to expect?
- Time: Accessibility of the location during the time of year you plan to come and the drive time between spots.
- Light: How will lighting be during your anticipated ceremony time. Wedding Planner Tip: Ideal question for your local Iceland wedding photographer.
- Transportation: How will you get to the location? For instance, self-drive car; your own two feet; bus/coach; super jeep; or helicopter.
- Weather: Do you need an indoor plan “b” location if your location is outside due to the unpredictable weather in Iceland?
- Décor: Do you need things like chairs for the ceremony, flowers, aisle, sound system, etc?
- Miscellaneous: What will your group do about food, using the bathroom, staying on time, etc?
Likely now, you’re wondering… How do you craft the perfect Iceland wedding schedule?
Example Iceland Wedding Schedule
If you are not adventure driven and wish to keep the day more low key, you may want to be married in a church and go to a location for photos afterwards. So if that is the case, we would suggest the following example schedule for you if you intend on bringing guests along. Please beware though that if you become a client of ours, we offer more in-depth service.
- 9-10am Breakfast.
- 10-11am Hairstyling (if applicable).
- 11-12pm Makeup (if applicable).
- 12-12:30pm Finishing touches and get wedding attire on.
- 12:30-1:15pm Drive to the church (varies depending on your starting and Iceland ceremony location).
- 1:15-1:30pm Guests get seated.
- 1:30-2pm Iceland wedding ceremony.
- 2-2:15pm Greet Guests and big Group Photo.
- 2:15-2:45pm Formal family and friend group photos.
- 2:45-3:15pm Photos of just the two of you in/outside the church.
- 3:15-4pm Drive to your next photo location (bathroom break on the way if needed).
- 4-4:45pm Wedding photos and Iceland wedding location exploration.
- 4:45-5:30pm Drive back to your accommodation.
- 5:30-7:30pm Rest and Refresh.
- 7:30pm-? Iceland Wedding Reception!
Note: Drive times will vary depending on starting and ending points. Also, the amount of time you wish to spend at the places as well. Furthermore, it is best to consult your Iceland wedding planner and photographer before finalizing.
Types of Iceland Ceremony Locations
Not every ceremony location is created equal. Although there is an endless amount and specifically in our portfolio we have 100+ for you to consider not all are suitable for an elopement or ceremony with guests. However, our favorite types locations follow as a short list for you to consider for your Iceland wedding schedule:
- Countryside Church
- Black Sand Beach
- On top of a Mountain
- Mainstream Waterfall (Touristy)
- Geothermal Area
- Shipwreck Beach
- Private Property Waterfall
- Ice Cave
- Natural Cave
- Between the Tectonic Plates
- Glacier Lagoons
- Sea Cliffs
- Sod Farm
- Inside a dormant Volcano
- Golden Sand Beach
- Lava Fields
- Underneath the Northern Lights
- Hot Spring
- Lunar-like Landscapes
- Lupine Fields (typically between mid-June to mid-July)
- At an active Volcano
- Abandoned Airplane (there are several throughout Iceland)
- In front of Basalt Rock Formations
- Grass Covered Church or House
- Within the Icelandic Highlands
Top 10 Touristy Iceland Wedding Locations
Nothing wrong with falling in love with one of the gorgeous tourist locations! In fact, it is still possible to be married at them. Although, having a private ceremony is not possible unless you have an unlimited budget to offer the multiple farmers that own the sights.
Further, a local wedding planner can help you permit / permissions though to have your group and Iceland wedding ceremony at one of the sought after touristy locations. Also, the team can help you with knowing what the setup is like… For example, where the ropes, barrier or signs are restricting access. As this element is often ever changing including on whether or not drones are allowed to fly.
Next, feel free to consider the following top 10 touristy places for your Iceland wedding schedule:
- Skogafoss Waterfall
- Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon
- Goðafoss Waterfall
- Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon
- Kirkjufellsfoss Waterfall
- Hallgrimskirkja Church
- Seljalandsfoss Waterfall
- Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach
- Gullfoss Waterfall
- Landmannalaugar Nature Reserve
Local Wedding Planner
When hiring a local Iceland wedding planner make sure they are able to seek out the permissions you need to get married at the location that are of interest to you. To illustrate, this could be as simple as getting permission from government agencies, a village, or the landowners. Sometimes these permissions or permits come at a cost or a trade. Again, best to consult with an experience local. In fact, we would love to aid you in your efforts, feel free to contact us for more information.
© 2021, Iceland Weddings & Honeymoons, All Rights Reserved.